Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2008

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

The Lego turns fifty years old in February, and I can speak for all parents who have stepped on one of the little sharp edged plastic toy bricks in the middle of the night when I say "#*@!!%!". I'm sure there are anal retentive sorts who make their kids pick up every little block before bed, but that wasn't me. I developed the "lego slide" when a full bladder called me to the porcelain in the wee hours. Sweeping my feet along, but never quite picking them up off the ground would scatter these devil spawn of childhood booby traps. Happy birthday Legos, and damn you to hell.

The Lego is a good introduction to the consumer culture for any child. An unsuspecting parent will buy a basic set for Christmas or a birthday, and it will build interesting little buildings. If you have a boy, then aircraft or guns develop from the blocks. More blocks are needed. Specialty kits are needed. You never have enough. A consumer is born.

No comments: