Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Backyard Politics; Washington Primary Edition

The Libertarian Party, The Green Party, and a few other "Minor" parties got badly screwed in the primary election this last week. I know that the voters of Washington like the "top two" primary system, but the unexpected consequences of this system is to wipe third parties off the General Election Ballot. The Libertarians and Greens aren't going to win any time soon, but that could be said about almost all third parties, early Republicans included. The Constitution guarantees freedom of association and assembly in no uncertain words. A party cannot be forced to take the input of non-party members, and that unambiguous constitutional right is violated by the top two primary system. as a Democrat I object to any old yahoo having input into our party's nomination process. If I were a Republican I'd be just as angry. If I were a member of any other party, and had been shut out of the general election, I would be raging livid and about to pop a vein. The top two primary cannot be allowed stand.

No comments: