Search This Blog

Monday, April 27, 2009

Dilemma

Your faithful blogmaster is hung on the horns of a dilemma. I have been planning to go to an old hippie reunion this Summer, but recently I got word of the timely death of one of the most thoroughly unpleasant individuals I knew at that time of my life. At first I thought "Yea! I won't have to pretend to have once been his friend" but the response of the other old hippies was nothing short of flabbergasting. Long memorials dedicated to the life of the now dead individual. I thought, "Who was this saint?". Were there two individuals in this little Colorado ski town with the same name at the same time that had the same set of friends as I? Perhaps I was the jerk. It's been thirty years, and my memory has been over written several times, but I still can see the low points. Friends come and go but enemies are forever. I don't think I could bight my tongue through three days of beer and remembrance of this most recently departed individual. I will note that all the posters of the loving sentiment are women, and he presented a much different face to guys. What a viper he was. A mean drunk to boot.

1 comment:

Mona Albano said...

That should mean that there are a lot of guys in the group feeling as you do. You might query one or two of them before you go. And if you happen to say, "He was a lot meaner to males," what harm done. Just don't crow about his death in public.

In fact, there might be a few women who are conspicuously silent, too.